14 August, 2021

Six on Saturday - 14th August 2021

Introduction

One consequence of the exceptionally wet period we've had recently is that my water buts are all full, something I dont' think I've ever known in August before. That's the good news. Not so good are signs of early blight on the tomato plants that I'm growing outdoors in my veg area in a part of the garden which is becoming increasingly shady because of the surrounding trees. The rain has made that part of the garden very humid which is the most likely cause of the problem. On a cheerier note, I'll welcome you to my eleventh #SixOnSaturday post, six things going on in the garden this week and inspired by The Propagator.

Picture of a blue flower

1) Agapanthus Silver Moon

Another first for me. This was an impulse buy when I visited the Secret Garden, a garden centre in Crystal Palace. I was attracted to the foliage which is variegated. I'm glad I went with impulse rather than sense - I have another pot of agapanthus plants which have never flowered so I'm not entirely sure why I thought this might be any different. Anyhow, it has rewarded my inpulse. 

Picture of a close-up of a hairy plant stem and a flower bud

2) Butternut Squash

Picture of green plants
I'm growing Butternut Squash for the first time this year. I have two plants which I'm growing vertically. I'm intrigued by the exceptionally hairy stems and flower buds. Despite looking very healthy and reaching a height of about six feet, the flower buds are still tight. I'm hoping that with the current warmer, dryer and sunnier weather that we've had over the last week, and which is promised for next, might persuade the flowers to mature.  If not, then I'll have some good material for compost.


Picture of a bowl of water with a stone in it

3) Water

In addition to the pond, we have a few bowls which we keep filled with water for the birds and insects. This one has a stone in it which helps bees, wasps and small birds reach in to drink. It doesn't stop birds of all sizes using it as a bath - everything from robins and tits right up to pigeons and magpies spashing around, sending water flying everywhere. There is a seating area nearby and sometimes when I'm sitting reading the birds will come down to bathe which is lovely to see so close at hand.

Picture of a garden with a rainbow in the sky

4) The lawn

Picture of grass with white flowers
The part of the garden nearest the house is largely lawn framed by borders all of which gently slope upwards towards the summerhouse. We like it that way because from the house it enables us to see the sky, the birds and the wildlife and the borders blend in with the woodland behind giving a sense of borrowed landscape, a real treat for London's travel zone 2! It is not manicured grass and other than a regular mow, an occasional edge trim, and rake towards the end of the year to thin the moss, it gets no special treatment whatsoever. Over the years it has settled to a combination of grass, white and pink clover, daisies and buttercups. One corner has gradually been colonised by bluebells and primulas and throws up a lovely spring display before being mowed towards the end of May. I regularly let it go for a couple or three weeks so that the bees can have a fill of the clover. From a distance when freshly mowed it looks immaculate, that is, until a squirrel decides to excavate a long-burried peanut!


Picture of two upright flowers with house in the background

5) Canna

I know, Canna two weeks in a row. Since last week a second bloom has started to emerge from the plant that previously reflused to flower for two years. I'm holding out hope that there may be a third. 

Picture of a flower

6) Hydrangea paniculata "Bombshell"

Another reluctant flowerer which has redeemed itself this year. I planted this two years ago out the front of the house following some re-modelling of the area. It flowered the first year and did zilch last year. This year it is back. I love how the flowerheads start off a delicate lemon colour, then go creamy white before taking on a delicate pink tinge. 

That's all for this week as there is a lot on the "to do" list. Check out the participant guide if you want to join in.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Six on Saturday - 2nd September 2023

Survivors and thrivers Best laid plans and all that - I had my six pics all ready for last week's #SixOnSaturday and then got distracted...