06 June, 2021

Six on Saturday 5th June 2021

Thalictrum "black stockings"


Inspired by The Propagator I thought I'd have a go at #SixOnSaturday, six things of interest in my garden right now.

1) Thalictrum

Over the years I've learned that I am not a rubbish gardener, instead I'm a generous feeder of slugs and snails. Now, in addition to planting things that they enjoy, I also seek to plant things that I enjoy and my approach is to buy one of something and if it doesnt' get eaten, and I like it, to buy some more. I came across Thalictrum "black stockings" at a local plant fair. It did really well on an east facing fence, delicate folage, lovely black stems, and topped with fluffy pink flowers. I bought three more and planted them in the opposite border where they have absolutely shot up this year. 

Hexagonal wall planter made from pallet wood and planted with lobelia

2) Recycling - pallet projects

We not infrequently come across abandoned pallets on our walks around SE London. In addition to making deep square planters, we've recently branched out, creating small wall-hanging hexagonal planters, a cold frame, and lots of picket-fence styled border edging. The lid for the cold frame was fashioned from an old kitchen cabinet door retrieved from a skip. 

Cold frame made from pallet wood

3) Peony (Paeonia)

Peony

This specimen never fails to please. Last year, just as the overwintered crown was poised to spring into life, I lifted and split it into three separate plants. All three are surviving well, each giving off multiple blooms this year. 

4) Ceanothus

Ceanothus shrub in flower

May is the time for the gorgeous blue/lilac flowers of the Ceanothus to brignten up the garden. We have three, each strategically placed in front of an otherwise bare concrete fence post. They mask them perfectly and when not in flower, the deep glossy green leaves give height to the back of the border, 

5) Salvia - the survivor 

Salvia "Hot Lips"

OK, so not the best photo on the planet. Nonetheless, I was thrilled to see the first signs of flowers on this "Hot Lips" variety of Salvia. Following the extreme frosts earlier this year this plant looked as though a flame thrower had been taken to it: it was brown and brittle with all the appearance of being totally dead. It isn't. It now thrives and since these first buds peeked through has bushed out nicely. We have a local gardening club and we often swap cuttings and seedlings as well as ideas. Occasionally we let our gardening friends pinch out a shoot of something they like - this is result of one of my pinchings and one of my earliest attempts at rooting a cutting. So I'm doubly thrilled it survived and hope that soon it will also show the characteristic white edge which gives her her name. 

6) Sitting, relaxing, and admiring the handywork

Wooden seating in a garden
Derelict area of garden prior to restoration


It is important to sit and enjoy the fruits of all the hard work in the garden. The second image shows the space in 2013 before we started work on this area of the garden. It is good sometimes to remember the origins of the journey from ivy and concrete to the peaceful and beautiful space that we've created. 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Six on Saturday - 2nd September 2023

Survivors and thrivers Best laid plans and all that - I had my six pics all ready for last week's #SixOnSaturday and then got distracted...